Thursday 5 August 2010

Coverack to The Lizard - 10 miles


Today I went for a walk with Ann's sister, Sue, her nephews Dan & Jack, and neice, Emma. We walked from Coverack to The Lizard and it took us a very long time and now I am a very tired little collie dog.

I went in Ann's car to The Lizard with Jack & Emma. We parked on the green and Sue took us to Coverack for the start of our walk. We got to Coverack car park at 10.50am but we didn't actually start our walk until 11am. I was allowed out of the car but then I had to stand and wait in the car park while the 'humans' organised their rucksacks, put their walking shoes on and went to the toilet. When it's just me and Ann she goes to the toilet, organises her rucksack and puts her shoes on before she leaves home so when we arrive at the start of our walk we can just get on with it.

This walk was only 10 miles long so Ann thought it would take us 4-5 hours. In fact it took us almost 7?! This was because we kept stopping. We'd only been walking about 15 mins when Sue asked what time we were stopping for coffee. Stopping for coffee? We never stop for coffee. We always walk for at least 2 hours before we stop for a rest. Today we managed to walk for 35 mins before the humans wanted to stop for a drink of water. Then after another 35 mins we stopped again - this time for coffee and a snack. We never take snacks on our walks. Sometimes we don't even take lunch. After that Ann managed to persuade the other humans that we had to walk to Kennack Sands before we could stop for lunch. Emma was being a bit whingey on this part of the walk. She kept asking when we were stopping for coffee, how long it was to the end of the walk, how long it was until lunch, how far had we walked, how far had we to go, etc, etc.

Kennack Sands was lovely. I got to have a little rest and a few titbits. In fact Sue gave me loads of titbits. Ann never gives me any treats when we're on our walks. I did loads of swimming at lunchtime. Dan kept throwing stones into the sea for me to chase. I did quite a lot of swimming out of my depth. Normally I don't go out of my depth but I was having such fun with Dan.

The first part of this walk was actually quite hard. It was quite up and down and we also had to scrabble over a lot of rocks in certain parts. It was about 5 miles to Kennack Sands from Coverack and it was about 1.40pm when we stopped for lunch.

After lunch Ann told the other humans that we would walk to Cadgworth and stop there for a rest and ice cream. She thought that would be incentive for them to walk more than half an hour at a time. Having said that they still wanted to stop to drink water. We never stop to drink water. We just do that en-route. Talking of water - there was hardly any streams for me to drink out of today. And then one of the times when we stopped Ann didn't look as if she was going to give me a drink and I was really thirsty. Fortunately Sue gave me loads. I had my little grey foldable doggie bowl with me. Sue didn't think that was very good. She said you can get much better ones at 'Fat Face'. She said she might buy me one.

In the section of the walk between Cadgworth and The Lizard I did something really naughty. I spotted a big quarry type pit with some mud at the bottom which looked suitable for wallowing in, so I jumped in, intending to go for a good old wallow. Unfortunately the mud was too dry for me to wallow in and then, what was even worse, I couldn't get out. Ann had to jump down, lift me out and then when she was climbing out she hurt her back - fortunately not too badly. The second naughty thing that I did on this walk was that I wallowed in a muddy ditch and emerged looking like a completely black dog. Ann wasn't too cross with me because she knew I was really hot and needed to cool down. However Sue said she was glad I wasn't going home in her car. When we got to Church Cove, just before The Lizard, Dan took me down to the sea so that I could have a swim to get clean. I tried my hardest to get clean but my face is still very dirty. Ann says she will take me swimming tomorrow on my morning walk but if I don't manage to clean my face I'm going to have to have a shower.

On the last section of the walk Emma was in 'speedy' mode. Her and Dan were walking loads faster than Ann, Sue and Jack. I just didn't know who to walk with. I like to be at the front of the walk but I also like to keep running back to check that the rest of the group are keeping up. However because Emma was being so positive, speedy and just wanted to get to the end of the walk I decided I'd just walk with her and Dan. Also I was getting tired and couldn't be bothered to keep running back to check on the others. We arrived back at the car much earlier than Ann, Jack & Sue and Dan & Emma let me have a little rest while I waited for them.

I've had an absolutely lovely day on my walk today but we didn't get home until 7pm so I've had no sleep time at all. I'm shattered and am looking forward to a good nights sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment