Monday 11 April 2011

Port Isaac to Tintagel - 9 miles


It's a long way down & a long way up
 This walk was described on the SWCP website as severe.  It was very hard in that there were loads of very, very steep up and down sections – but there were also loads of sections where we were just walking along the tops of cliffs.  Haven’t a clue who grades these walks but I would have said that yesterday’s walk was the hardest and that was the one that was described as moderate to strenuous.
Ann parked her car at Tintagel (£2 for the whole day) & then Angela drove us to Port Isaac where we parked all day for £4.80.  It was incredibly misty when we started our walk.    We could hardly see a few feet in front of us, let alone see where we were going to end up.  There was no one else about.  Well why would there be?  We set off from Port Isaac at about 10.45am and it was misty, horrible, windy & cold.  Ann & Angela had their anoraks on.  No tanning for them first thing?  However after about an hour or so the mist lifted and it turned into a really nice day.  Nowhere near as hot as yesterday because it was very windy but it was certainly a lot better than it was when we set off. 
There were a lot of signs on this walk saying that there was livestock grazing & dogs had to be kept under control but we didn’t see any livestock grazing.  I was off lead for pretty much all of the walk.  The only time Ann put me back on my lead was when we were walking past a field of black sheep that had a lone llama in the middle of them.  I couldn’t get to them and to be honest I hadn’t even spotted them until Ann told me I had to go on my lead as a precaution.
Ann’s friend, Angela that we were walking with, was very paranoid about keeping me safe.  She hated me going to the edge of the cliff to look over.  Ann was OK though, she knows that I know my limitations.

I had a lovely play in the water

Just about at Trebarwith Strand
We stopped at a really nice cafe in Trebarwith Strand which was just over 2 miles from Tintagel.  I had a lovely rest and a whole bowl of water all to myself.  Then when Ann & Angela had finished lunch they took me down to the beach so I could have a play & a swim.  It was great fun.
We didn’t see many people on the first part of our walk but by the time we got to Trebarwith Strand there were loads of people about and between there and Tintagel there were lots of people walking.
After our stop at Trebarwith Strand it was only another couple of miles to Tintagel.  And we only had to go up one more steep bit and then it was easy walking along the top of cliffs until the descent into Tintagel and then the walk up the hill into Tintagel village.
What a lovely three days of walking I've had.  I'm such a lucky little collie dog to be taken on such nice walking weekends.

1 comment:

  1. I love your posts, Molly but am never able to comment due to some odd and unintended instruction I have given my computer.

    I am now visiting relatives and would like to take the opportunity to say hello. Molly is just like a dog I had as a child, Holly, and I have a soft spot for this breed.

    ReplyDelete